July 29, 2015

Kalam Ko Salaam

Words and thoughts escape me as I start this blog. With great difficulty and heavy heart, I force myself to concentrate.

Just like most of us, I heard of the man only after his name came up as Presidential candidate. I was amazed to know about his achievements and felt happy that India is also becoming a land of opportunity where a boy from a small village can be on the path to become the President. I started to read books written by him and about him. His 'Wings of Fire' gave wings to my dreams. His vision for the country helped me in visualizing a better country for my children. The more I came to know about the man, the more I wanted to know.

Some say it was his hard work, some say it was his destiny. Whatever the reasons attributed, there is no doubt that it was he who influenced the destiny of many others.

When he came to IIM Bangalore to give a lecture, it was an opportunity of a lifetime for many of us. As he outlined his vision for India, his question was: “Why don’t we aspire to make our children civil servants?” He could be the reason for some of my batch mates going into civil services after completing MBA. We were inspired to dream after listening to him.

His way of giving back to the society was his interaction with children whom he considered the torch bearers for the vision he had for our country. Everywhere he went, he met children with warmth and that is how he passed away. I cannot imagine any other way he could have spent his last moments in life.

I am honored to share my birthday with him. I can never become 10% of what he is. But he has inspired me to DREAM and I can only hope that I inspire at least one person’s life through my deeds in my lifetime. I pray for his soul and for his vision of India which he could not see fulfilled. Our true tribute to him would be working towards achieving his dreams for us.

“Dreams .. is not what you see in sleep
 Dreams .. is the thing which doesn’t let you sleep” – APJ


No comments:

Post a Comment