March 6, 2009

Pavements


Lack of pavements was once considered dangerous since the pedestrian had to navigate the traffic. But walking on pavements has become more dangerous of late in India. I was in for a shock one day when I was walking on the pavement and I heard someone honking his horn constantly behind me. When I looked back I was surprised to find a biker speeding towards me on the pavement!! I jumped aside to let him pass.

Pavements in India are not for pedestrians but also business place for small vendors during evenings, ultra poor people's home during night and encroachment areas for others. Add to this the two-wheelers. Pavements have become a short cut for two wheelers which look at navigating traffic jams. This has made pavements dangerous for walkers. Pavements were elevated in order to ensure that the traffic does not spill over to that area. But that has not dissuaded bikers from driving on them, taking many a pedestrians by surprise.

There are many instances of fatal accidents. Whom to blame for this? Huge traffic which has led the bikers to drive on pavements? Lax attitude of traffic police for not penalizing such bikers? Bikers themselves who are not following rules? No matter with whom the blame lies, it is the common man who suffers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment